Thursday, February 23, 2006

Day 6

Well I haven't posted in several days. I have not been feeling well at all. The cold I stopped so I could have surgery cam eon full force after......I still have a very deep cough and it hurts SOOOOO badly when I cough. I saw my surgeon yesterday and everything he says looks good. The neck being numb is normal. He had to pull things out farther for me as I told him I sing and needed to sing in two weeks time post op. so he took extra precaution for my neck surgery. The actual stimulator was placed in my armpit area. I cannot feel it yet. There is still TONS of swelling at both incision sites. He changed my pain meds from the oxycodne to tylenol 3. I had trouble taking the other as it made me sick. So hopefully with this one I can get some sleep. I am a naturally left sided sleeper and this not being comfy laying on my left side is making it hard to get the rest I need. I have slept two nights in bed the rest has been in the recliner where I actually get a better nights still[ this from a woman who can't just nap sitting in a chair!!!!] I have to be feeling well enough to go out this weekend as my oldest son has a county choir concert Sunday afternoon and my daughter has a district choir concert Saturday afternoon. Since I don't drive anyway I can take pain meds to help me out.
I don't like taking them in general so I save them for when I really need them. You don't heal as quickly as you think....I mean you hear outpatient surgery and you think can't be all that bad. Due to numbness in my neck I have to eat slowly and chew slowly as I don't have ths swelling abilities completely back yet....They are getting better though.
I haven't posted much as I didn't want to seem as if I was complaining.....I know it's a long road.....But feel people who are reading this should also know if they make the decision any information they can gather might be helpful.

I will post pictures as soon as we crop them---we have them dated etc....
Talk atcha soon
KIM

1 comment:

Christa said...

I know exactly what you mean Kim! Scott thought that he would be able to go back to work 4 days after having his VNS implanted. However, we found that it actually took him several weeks - almost 3, I believe - before he was feeling back to normal. He still suffers from some minor discomfort in his chest and his neck is still tender at times; however, he is now able to move his arm freely and without pain. Take your time and let your body heal. Try not to push yourself - I know that is especially hard when you're a mother. While the surgery may have been performed as "outpatient" it is important to remember that it is a major operation - one in which a foreign object is placed within the body. That in itself takes time for the body to adjust. So take as much time as you possibly can and rest.

Take care,
Christa